The contents of this item, including all images and text, are for personal, educational, and non-commercial use only. This item is the property of Georgia State University Library and may be protected under United States and international copyright law. Any user of the digitized version is asked to acknowledge Georgia State University Library.
Students at Georgia State University and its predecessors have been producing a newspaper since the 1920s. Like the university, the student newspaper existed in several forms over the years. When the institution was the Evening School of Commerce of the Georgia School of Technology, the first student newspaper, The Technite, was published (1926-1932). Later, the school was the University Extension Center in Atlanta, with two separate divisions, Georgia Evening College (Night) and Atlanta Junior College (Day Division). The night students published a newspaper, The Evening Signal (1933-1943), while their counterparts in the Day Division produced The Junior Collegiate (1935-1943). In 1943, the two newspapers merged to form The Signal. Since then, the institution has been the Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia (1947-1955), then an independent unit known as the Georgia State College of Business Administration (1955-1961), Georgia State College (1961-1969) and finally Georgia State University (from 1969). The Signal has been published continuously since 1943, but reflecting the evolution of GSU, its masthead has also had the titles The University Signal, The Georgia State Signal, The Georgia State College Signal, and the Georgia State University Signal