A Guide to Its Collection at Georgia State University
University Georgia State University Special Collections and Archives 100 Decatur St., SE Atlanta, GA 30303-3202 404-413-2880 Fax: 404-413-2881 email@example.com
EAD tagging completed by Morna Gerrard,
Georgia State University Library,
Special Collections and Archives,
of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 101 (Erie, Penna.)
International Association of Machinists
and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 101 (Erie, Penna.) collection,
.75 linear ft.in 2 boxes
Erie machinists initially were chartered
as an American Federation of Labor affiliate, then reorganized as National
Association of Machinists' Local Lodge #101 (both in 1890). The local was
re-chartered in August 1896, then re-organized in May 1901. The Records,
1896-1916, of Lodge No. 101, are composed principally of minutes and dues
Organization of the Collection
Organized into 2 series: (I) Minutes, and (II) Dues/membership
Scope and Content of the Collection
The Records, 1896-1916, of Lodge No. 101, are composed principally of
minutes that describe the challenges faced by the lodge during its early years
that was reflected in the steel and mold industry. Also included are dues books
that note members and dues paid.
On April 1, 1890, the Erie machinists received a charter, #4081, from
the American Federation of Labor; three months later, this group was
re-organized under a charter issued to Local Lodge #101, by the National
Association of Machinists. W. F. Young was elected the first Master Machinist.
The local was re-chartered in August 1896 as a contract lodge and then
re-organized in May 1901 after disbanding in February 1901.
The Local participated in several strikes during their history
including a bitter strike in 1913 when molders in Erie went out on strike.
“Black lists” kept members of #101 out of work. Then in 1919 all
segments of organized labor in Erie were asked to help strikers in the steel
industry. By 1936-1937, the LaFollette Civil Liberties Committee heard
testimony that revealed the presence of “labor spies” in the
ranks of #101. Corporations hired “Spies” all across the country.
They were hired by the Pinkerton Detective Agency, and other agencies with the
purpose of disrupting union business.
In 1942, the Laurel Auxiliary (Ladies Auxiliary) #304 became
affiliated with Eire Lodge #101. During World War II, members from the Standard
Stoker received the Army-Navy “E” for production excellence. This
National Security Award was accepted in June 1944.
Local 101 continues to be active and recently celebrated its 100th
anniversary in 2001.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the
Georgia State University Library online catalog (GIL). Researchers desiring
materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog
using these headings.
of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any
publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection,
the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical
property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from
this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright
holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must
contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to
limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
[item], [folder title], [series title], International Association of
Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 101 (Erie, PA) Collection,
L2003-07, Archives of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. Special Collections and Archives, Georgia
State University, Atlanta.
The material was originally given to the International Association and
Aerospace Workers by Local Lodge 101. The IAM then donated the collection to
Georgia State University.
Processed by Pam Hackbart-Dean. EAD finding aid created by Morna
Gerrard, June 2003; revised by William Hardesty, February 2006.
Related materials in this repository: See
Southern Labor Archives' International Association of Machinists collections