A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University
University Georgia State University Special Collections and Archives 100 Decatur St., SE Atlanta, GA 30303-3202 404-413-2880 Fax: 404-413-2881 email@example.com
January 8, 2008
EAD version 2002 finding aid created in
XMetaL 4.5 by Hilary Morrish,
Georgia State University Library,
Special Collections and Archives,
Altrusa International. Atlanta
Atlanta Club Records
26.5 linear ft.(39 boxes)
The records of the Altrusa International,
Atlanta Club, 1938-2001, describe through administrative papers,
correspondence, scrapbooks, articles and photographs how the women's service
organization provided community service within District III and with Altrusa
clubs internationally as a whole.
Organization of the Records
Organized into six series:
Series I. Administrative
Series II. Board and Officers
Series III. Programs and Projects
Series IV. Scrapbooks, News Clippings and Printed Materials
Series V. Artifacts
Series VI. Audio/Visual
Scope and Content of the Records
The Records, 1938-2001, of the Altrusa International Incorporated,
Atlanta Club, comprise correspondence, minutes, printed items, financial
records, annual conference and convention information, annual reports, project
and committee files, photographs and a videotape, and convention memorabilia.
The bulk of the records describe the charitable work of the Altrusa
International Inc. Atlanta Club, but other clubs throughout Georgia and
District III are also documented. There are personal papers of many of the
Atlanta Club presidents and officials, including Mary Kate Duskin, Cassie
Dollar, Marian Styron and Margaret Windsor. Files are arranged in six series,
arranged chronologically, and clippings have been photocopied for preservation
purposes. Periodicals have been separated and are listed at the end of the
History of the Atlanta Club of Altrusa International
Founded in Nashville in 1917 as a women's civic organization where
business and professional women could meet and exchange ideas, Altrusa
developed into an altruistic group. Led by Mamie L. Bass, Altrusa was
established as a classified service organization. It quickly grew into a chain
of national clubs, and became international in 1935.
On March 23, 1938, the Altrusa Club of Atlanta was organized. Its
Presidents have included Louise Vaughn (1938-1940), Laurie K. Guy (1940-1942),
Eleanor Kellow (1943), Mary Kate Duskin, (1955-1957), Cassie Dollar
(1966-1967), Marian Styron (1967-1969) and Margaret Windsor (1971-1972). The
Atlanta Club is part of Altrusa's District III which includes South Carolina,
North Carolina, Florida and Georgia. Officers are elected at the club and
district level during the annual conferences and conventions, and work with
committee chairs throughout the year.
The club actively participated in a variety of ways to assist the
community. It implemented programs such as the American Women’s
Volunteer Service Program, which entertained service men from Lawson General
Hospital, and a vocational guidance series for women workers of the Bell Bomber
plant. It also adopted the Irving Thomas Home for middle-aged women.
Early accomplishments for the Atlanta Club include a $1,000
contribution for nursing schools in 1946; the organization and teaching of
regular classes at the Georgia Training School for Girls at Adamsville from
1949-1953; establishment of a revolving scholarship fund in 1953, which gave
financial aid to a number of female students; and the creation of an annual
Vocational Clinic for the Mature Woman from (1956-1965). In the 1960's and
1970's, the Atlanta club conducted career clinics at the Atlanta Girls' Club,
worked once a month with recreation and social activities at Friendship House,
created Villa International as temporary housing for newly arrived immigrants
to Atlanta, designed and remodeled rooms at the Atlanta Women’s Mission
and assisted with Hillside Cottages, a treatment oriented center for
emotionally disturbed children. In the late 1970's Altrusa officially adopted
literacy as on-going service.
In the 1980's and 1990's, with its increasingly global outlook,
Altrusa International, Inc. expanded its projects beyond literacy and
education. In 1989, Altrusa adopted a resolution to promote environmental
concerns and in 1997, the Altrusa Foundation adopted Camp Safe Haven for
abandoned children with HIV/AIDS.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in the
Georgia State University Library online catalog (GIL). Researchers desiring
materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog
using these headings.
Bass, Mamie L.
of Altrusa Clubs
Restrictions on Access
All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any
publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection,
the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical
property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from
this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright
holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must
contain the complete citation to the original.
[item], [folder title], [series title], Altrusa International, Atlanta
Club records, W077, Archives for Research on Women and Gender, Special
Collections and Archives, Georgia State University, Atlanta.
Donated by Caryn Arrowood for Altrusa, 2006 (accession W2006-15).
Processed by Hilary Morrish, September-November 2007.
Related materials in other
Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia: Altrusa Club of
Savannah Records, 1938-2002
Duke University, Durham, North Carolina: Altrusa Club of Durham
Separated material: During processing,
periodicals were separated to Women's Printed Collections. See List of
Separated Material following Detailed Description of the Collection.