The Eastern Air Lines Digital Collection brings together content that represents different aspects of Eastern’s legendary history: labor, management, public relations, mediation, corporate culture, marketing, media coverage, and operations.
The Digital Collection includes documentation from the following collections; in some cases only selected items from the collection were digitized, in others, the entire collection.
- Collective bargaining and mediation information taken from the Bill Usery papers; Usery, a former U. S. Secretary of Labor, was a mediator for
Eastern in the 1980s
- The Frank Borman papers chronicle through correspondence his work as the president of Eastern Air Lines in the late 1970s and 1980s
- The Jim Ashlock collection includes Eastern’s annual reports, coverage of Eastern’s dissolution, Eastern television ads, and information about
daily operations during the strike; Ashlock was a public relations specialist at Eastern from 1966-1991
- Martha Hamilton, a Washington Post reporter who donated her notebooks, newsclippings, and other items related to her coverage of Eastern
- Adrienne Cohen, copy writer and advertising executive, donated copies of her ad work for Eastern which features radio and print ads, including
“The Wings of Man” radio commercial series featuring Orson Welles from the early 1970s
- The records of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, who represented the ground crew at Eastern, include
recordings of television coverage of the strike, collective bargaining agreements, and photographs of daily operations at various locals
- The papers of John Chaknis, a member of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), who collected materials related to ALPA’s sympathy strike with
- Carolyn Lee Wills, former director of the Eastern Airlines' Southern Region Public Relations Office, collected and donated press releases,
photographs, newsletters, destination files, operations information, and a formidable collection of artifacts from Eastern Air Lines.
In addition to content in the Eastern Air Lines Digital Collection, Special Collections and Archives also holds materials related to Eastern Air Lines in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Digital Collection, the Lane Brothers Digital Collection, the IAM Publications Digital Collection, and the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization Digital Collection, among others.
Copyrights to the items in this collection are held by various entities. Rights information, if known, is specified in the item’s description.